Immediate Insight - AppPerf Installation Guide
Note: AppPerf is currently in Beta release, if you encounter any issues or have feedback please email email@example.com
AppPerf is a free standalone tool that does speed test between internal enterprise web servers and client hosts. AppPerf does not need to be ‘installed’ on the webserver, but some files need to be placed there. AppPerf files can be placed onto an Immediate Insight web server if desired, however another web server may be used if applicable. Results of AppPerf tests are then feed to an Immediate Insight instance for collection & reporting (this may or may not be on the same Immediate Insight as the AppPerf files are loaded). The following example instructions assume AppPerf files are loaded onto the same Immediate Insight instance as is collection the test results. Immediate Insight app-2015-10-05 or newer is required to collect the data.
Step 1: Obtain the AppPerf files and put them in place.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org creating a support ticket to receive the necessary AppPerf.zip file that will be used in later steps.
- Use WinSCP or similar tool to sftp the received AppPerf.zip to the Immediate Insight home directory (which is home/insight).
Step 2: Configure the Immediate Insight instance for the AppPerf capability.
- Using Putty or another SSH tool connect to the CLI of the Immediate Insight client.
- Go to the home directory by typing cd/home/insight
- Once at the home directory type unzip AppPerf.zip
- Type the following command to create a symbolic link to a persistent directory.
rm –f /home/insight/app/search/AppPerf; ln –s /home/insight/AppPerf /home/insight/app/search/AppPerf
- Edit the /etc/rc.local file to make the symbolic link persistent after reboot.
- sudo nano /etc/rc.local
- add the line in step D. above, to the second to last line of the file.
- Save and exit the file by choosing “CTRL – X” and then “Yes” to save.
(edit AppPerf.html for applicable Immediate Insight data collector)
- Edit the AppPerf.html file with the following lines substituting applicable IP and test name, please note that the double quotes are required.
- Browse to the directory where the file is located. cd /home/insight/app/search/AppPerf
- Update the AppPerf.html file with the applicable IP Address and port of the webserver using the sudo nano AppPerf.html command. NOTE: (Quotes are required as shown in an example on the beginning of the next page.)
var ii = “192.168.35.139:3002”
var appsrv = “test-server-A”
IF and only if your Immediate Insight servers is accessed via HTTPS change entry as follows: var ii = “https://192.168.1.140:3088”
(NOTE: you will also need to create an HTTPS Listener using 3088 on Immediate Insight)
(NOTE: optionally but recommended, to stop HTTPS certificate warning messages you can follow the procedure in Immediate Insight install guide)
- After changes are complete the Immediate Insight server needs to be reloaded. You can complete this by typing reload server at the command prompt.
- Open browser (Chrome is recommended) and browse to either of these as applicable. (Note: The IP and port in the link below will be whatever you designate as the webserver.)
- Test result will displayed in the browser.
Results are also searchable in the Immediate Insight specified in AppPerf.html