How can I integrate data from FireMon Security Manager into Immediate Insight?
The purpose of this document is to walk the user through new integration for collecting Security Manager Change Events into Immediate Insight.
Part A – Integration Pre-Requisites
Note: this integration requires Immediate Insight version app-2016-02-04 (or newer), which can be obtained by typing ‘update’ from the Immediate Insight CLI (internet connectivity required). Security Manager 8.2 or newer is required.
Immediate Insight and Security Manager must be configured with correct certificates so that they can exchange data. Here are the required steps:
- Login to Immediate Insight CLI (user ‘insight’, default pw ‘WhatsHappeningNow’) and type the following
- create-fmos-certs (creates the certificates)
- cd app/config/certs
- from Immediate Insight CLI, open an SFTP connection to Security Manager (login with an FMOS account assigned administrator level privileges) - e.g. sftp fmadin@ (provide FMOS password when prompted)
- Next put the previously created certificates onto Security Manager
- put localhost.crt
- put localhost.key
- put rootCA.pem
- open a CLI connection to Security Manager (login with administrator level FMOS account credentials) and move the previously uploaded certificate files to the correct directories
- cd e.g. ssh fmadmin@ (provide FMOS password when prompted)
- sudo mv localhost.crt /etc/pki/tls/certs
- sudo mv localhost.key /etc.pki/tls/private
- sudo mv rootCA.pem /etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors
- next (still from the Security Manager FMOS CLI) you will apply the new certificates
- sudo update-ca-trust
- sudo reboot
Note: certs survive reboot, but may not survive Security Manager upgrade – therefore keep a copy of the files from step 1) if you need to restore the cert files after upgrade
- Optional – if you want to stop certificate warning messages on your browser, install the following files into your browser (you may also see Immediate Insight Install Guide for more details on this task)
Part B - Live Collection of Security Manager Events into Immediate Insight
To collect live Change events from Security Manager, you need to configure a Security Manager Collector in Immediate Insight. You will need valid web console admin level credentials & connectivity to Security Manager.
Login to Immediate Insight GUI,
- go to DataFlow -> Collectors and click the + button of the Collectors from, then select ‘Security Manager Collector’
- Specify the IP Address of Security Manager
- Provide a valid web console admin level username and password for Security Manager
- Set the Data TTL for how long you want to keep the data (e.g. 30d)
- Optionally you can assign the data to something other than the default ‘main-stream’ repository, to make it easier to separately search Security Manager data apart for other data coming into the system.
- In this case you must first create the repository at the CLI, e.g. ‘new-repo sm’ , will then provide sm-stream as an available selection in the GUI
- Give the collector a suitable name
- The other values can normally be left default.
- Click the ‘Add’ button when ready
Part C – Confirm Security Manager Change Events are coming into the system.
Go to the DataFlow -> Collectors screen
Scroll down to your new Security Manager Collector, and check that the Status says ‘running’ (it can take a minute or so to initially change from ‘Connecting’ to ‘Running’) – if it does not say ‘Running’ confirm your credentials, certificates, and network connectivity before proceeding.
If Status is ‘running’ you will see Security Manager Change Events show up as indicated by the ‘Records’ counter.
Note: depending on how Security Manager Configuration Change Monitoring is setup, it may take anywhere from minutes to hours to see data, below is an example of configuring hourly change monitoring in Security Manager for a particular device managed by Security Manger. Note that both ‘Change Monitoring’ and ‘Log Monitoring’ must be enabled, the default ‘Check for Change Interval’ may be too long to be useful, if so change it. (please see Security Manager documentation for full details on configuring Change monitoring)
Part D – Search some sample Security Manager Change Events in Immediate Insight
Go back to the Immediate Insight Search tab, then do one of the following to search for Security Manager Change event records.
- Specify the separate repository if you configured one in Part B (e.g. sm-stream)
- if not, type “id action” in the search string
- Then click Search, the event Search Results will look similar to below, you can then expand the details to look at the ‘Full Text’ and ‘Metadata’ for particular events.
- If the end device passes the name of the user to Security Manager, the user who made changes will also appear in Immediate Insight, otherwise user will be ‘DC_Automated’. For best user details, it is suggested to configure end devices to forward their syslogs to Security Manager.
- You can then also go to ‘Microscope’ , ‘Associations’ , ‘Event Clusters’ etc (just as you would for other data collected by Immediate Insight) to correlate and analyze the results (some sample screen shots below)
Searches can also be combined with other non-Security Manager data sources allowing for context and correlation of information from across your security related ecosystem. (For further details on Searching with Immediate insight please consult the User Guide)